How often have we heard that, especially at this time of year. I remember the first time I heard it. When I was six years old, it was almost Christmas when I was helping my mum in the laundry folding clothes.
We had the discussion about being grateful for any present I received, whether I liked it or not, then the old chestnut came up; “and of course, Wendy, this time of year isn’t about getting, it’s about giving.”
Being a typical, self-centered six year old, I didn’t quite understand what she meant, but I knew how she wanted me to behave on Christmas morning!
Roll forward many years, and I have a very similar discussion with my clients about ‘Business Karma”.
When I interviewed 50 Corporate Crossovers for my book, I discovered that they all practiced and had received a lot from this.
Business Karma is simply delighting people.
To be more specific here are some examples:
- making the time to have a coffee with that woman who is new in business, even if you are really busy
- checking in with clients randomly, asking if they need any support, and having no strings attached
- being generous with trial offers, samples for people to try
- offering to lead or be on the committee for your local networking group
- volunteering your time as a mentor
The key with this is to give with the spirit of generosity.
This in itself is a gift worth having.
I would love to know how you have experienced Business Karma – have you received it – or given some away?
Please write a comment below.